Depression is a fast spreading disease that is engulfing all nations and societies. It is described as a state of low mood and aversion to activity, which can affect a person’s thoughts, behavior, tendencies, feelings, and sense of well-being. Normal looking active people may suffer from depression. Yet you may not know this. Depression is especially prominent in big cities where life is fast and comparatively more challenging and unhealthy than in smaller places. Too much competitiveness, a blind ambition to succeed may result in imbalance in life. It is very important to understand that your life is much more and beyond your career, wealth and status.
Depression can be caused by various factors:
- Nutritional deficiencies such as lack of Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Calcium etc.
- Disease such as Diabetes, Parkinson’s disease
- Debilitating disease like cancer, tuberculosis
- Failure in education, business or career path
- Alcohol and drugs addiction
- Poor social life
- Relationship issues with family and relatives
- A major setback such as loss of a loved one
- Lack of exercise and physical activity
- Less outdoor activity and no exposure to sun or Nature
- Excessive indulgence in caffeinated drinks, fast food and unhealthy lifestyle
- A very stubborn, dominating, evil mindset that refuses to adapt to change
- Inability to correct your own mistakes in personal, professional and social life
- Financial problems
Below are mentioned various ways to deal with depression.
- You must see psychiatrist or a counsellor to help you through this situation. A psychiatrist is a medico and can prescribe you medications for depression, whereas a counsellor will help you out formulating ways to deal with depression. They are professionally trained to deal with depression. So please do not hesitate to seek their services. Click and read links given below.
- It is firstly very important to understand the spiritual aspect of depression. The Mother ( Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Puducherry, India ) was a famous spiritual Guru. She says that ” Depression is due to over attachment to your ego“. This means you are just concerned about your own self. You do not bother about others and the society. If you are genuinely selfless and helping, there will be no seat for depression. Start looking beyond yourself. Take up a cause to help people. It could be simple things like giving social service, teaching underprivileged children , giving company to lonely elderly people, helping your neighbours, running errands for helpless people. Involve yourself genuinely to help people. Just paying monetary donation is not enough. Contribute by helping people through your service. Genuinely help others. Find opportunities to help society. Bring happiness and joy in the lives of people. Click and read links given below.
- Have a daily exercise routine. Take brisk walk or play sports or jog/run in park. Physical activity is very essential for release of “happiness hormones” by the brain. Enjoy your exercise routine so that you do not do it as a punishment. Daily exercise will remarkably improve your mental health.
- Lack of Vitamin D is rampant in city people. Sunshine is the best source of Vitamin D. Expose your skin everyday to morning sun directly for at least 15 minutes. Do this daily. Lack of Vitamin D causes mental gloominess , weakness in body and also triggers diabetes. It is essential to check your Vitamin D level and take supplements if required under medical advice. Most of the city people are lacking in sufficient Vitamin D levels. So please take this seriously.
- Lack of Vitamin B12 causes weaknesses and fatigue which may frustrate you and and you may eventually feel depressed. Check with your doctor and take supplements as advised.
- Follow a vegan (all plant based) food lifestyle. Say no to all food products that are sourced from animals such as meat, milk, fish, milk products etc. Eat wholesome and balanced meals. This will improve and maintain your physical and mental health dramatically. Read the following links
- Try alternative form of therapies such as T’ai Chi, Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, Pranic Healing, Bach Flower Remedies, Emotional Freedom Technique, Steam Bath (Sauna Bath ), Mud Therapy.These are really helpful and do not cause any harm.
- Practice of Yoga and meditation is one of the best way to attain mental and physical health.
- Listen to music daily as it has soothing effect on body and mind. Music has wonderful therapeutic power.
- Join a laughter club in your neighbourhood and see your depression becoming history.
- Have adequate sleep. Have at least 6 to 8 hours of sleep. Fix your time of going to sleep and waking up. This is very important for your body to follow a regular sleep pattern.
- Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Often less intake of water causes dullness and bad mood.
- Read good and inspiring books to help your mind think of positive side of life.
- Develop and engage in a hobby such as music, dance, art, sculpture, painting etc. This has very high therapeutic benefits.
- Connect with Mother Nature. This is very important to regain your real identity. Go to green parks, forests, beach and just establish your connection with Nature. Read links below
- Recall Good Events at the End of the Day
There are so many reasons to be happy and joyous and much more ways to find the same. DO NOT GIVE UP !