Dementia is a general term for a decline in mental ability severe enough to interfere with daily life. It is not a specific disease. It is decline in memory or other thinking skills which seriously impact a person’s daily life and activities. There are many other conditions that can cause symptoms of dementia,such as thyroid problems and vitamin deficiencies. It is wrong to assume that serious mental decline is a normal part of aging. Dementia impacts many things such as memory, communication and language, ability to focus and pay attention, reasoning and judgment as well as visual perception. Dementia is caused by damage to brain cells. This damage interferes with the ability of brain cells to communicate with each other. When brain cells cannot communicate normally, thinking, behavior and feelings can be affected.
Here are few tips to prevent dementia:
- A good heart and grain health must be maintained. So keep your blood pressure and cholesterol in control under the guidance of your doctor.
- Cut down smoking as smoking increase risk of dementia by 30-50%. Smoking directly harms your vascular system and thereby affects blood flow to the brain.
- Solve puzzles, read books and play challenging games. This keeps your brain active and brain cells healthy. This will be very helpful in warding off dementia.
- Watch your diet and weight, Obesity and wrong food habits make your body and brain sluggish and slow. This will cause you to become less and less active. In other words, you are headed for dementia.
- Give up alcohol. Drinking erodes away the white matter of brain thereby reducing your functioning ability in all respects.
- Exercise everyday. Physical exercise will keep your heart, weight and mental health normal. Just 30 minutes of daily exercise is enough to keep dementia at bay.
- Diabetics are highly at risk to suffer from dementia. So if you are a diabetic, do keep your sugar levels in check as a protein linked to high sugar levels has also been found in people with Alzheimer’s.
- Socialise and spend time with your friends. This keeps your mind and brain active and healthy. This will not only make you happy but it will significantly cut down your risk of dementia.
Follow the above tips and you will be glad to live a happier, healthier and fuller life.