We all know light is made up of seven colors. Blue color is one of these seven colors. Natural sunlight has blue light too. It is highly beneficial for humans. Blue light rays are beneficial during daylight hours because they boost attention, reaction times, and mood. But the same blue light rays are disruptive to humans at night. Artificial light sources have blue color component. However, blue light from artificial light sources is harmful to humans. Especially with the proliferation of electronics with computer screens, mobiles, tablets, television as well as energy-efficient lighting, your exposure to blue wavelengths, especially after sundown has increased considerably.
Daylight keeps a person’s internal clock aligned with the environment. There is a link between exposure to light at night, such as working the night shift, to some types of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. If you keep even dim light on during night, it is enough to cause secretion of hormones within your body that are meant to keep you awake. This automatically implies that you will have poor quality of sleep at night if you have some sort of light within your bedroom.
It is impossible in today’s world to stay away from computers and mobiles. Our eyes are not built for constant exposure to blue light. So if you keep using computers and mobiles, it is bound to have bad effect on your eye health.
Here are few tips to deal with problems of blue light:
- There are special bulbs available in the market that emit a soothing glow. These produce very less blue light and hence can help you sleep better if you are using them in bedroom.
- Special filter screens are available which can be put on your computer screen to prevent minimisation of blue light.
- You can use Eyekepper glasses and ward off the effects of blue light.
- Use special screen guards on your mobile or tablets which help eliminate blue light.
- Cover up fluorescent and LED lights with a filter shield as fluorescent/ LED lamps produce harsh blue light.
- Use yoga techniques such as Tratak to strengthen your eyes.
Learn to protect your eyesight and physical health through application of above simple techniques.