Malware (malicious software) is any software intentionally designed to cause damage to a computer, server, client, or computer network. Malware does the damage after it is implanted or introduced in some way into a target’s computer. Some kinds of malware are largely referred to in the media as computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, and scareware, among other terms. Malware has a malicious intent, acting against the interest of the computer user. (Source: Wiki).
There is a type of malware called ransomware which is specifically dangerous for small and medium businesses today. Ransomware threatens to publish the victim’s data or perpetually block access to it unless a ransom is paid. While some simple ransomware may lock the system in a way which is not difficult for a knowledgeable person to reverse, more advanced malware encrypts the victim’s files, making them inaccessible, and demands a ransom payment to decrypt them. Ransomware attacks are typically carried out using a Trojan that is disguised as a legitimate file that the user is tricked into downloading or opening when it arrives as an email attachment. Starting from around 2012 the use of ransomware scams has grown internationally.(Source: Wiki).
Small and medium enterprises are especially vulnerable to ransomware attacks as they seldom have expertise and budget to deploy tools to check such attacks. Here are some excellent protection packages to deal with ransomware menace:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud: Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (SEP Cloud) is an easy to use security-as-a-service that protects and manages PC, Mac, mobile devices and servers from a single console, making it the ideal solution for organizations with limited IT security resources. SEP Cloud effectively stops today’s ransomware, zero-day threats and other sophisticated attacks using advanced multi-layered technologies including advanced machine learning and behavior analysis. Utilizing SEP Cloud’s, default security settings and user self-enrollment capabilities, this solution quickly protects your endpoints.
- Bitdefender GravityZone Elite: Bitdefender GravityZone Elite suite is designed to protect enterprises against the full spectrum of sophisticated cyber threats with speed and accuracy. Elite provides high-level performance and protection for all endpoints across the enterprise environment: desktops, laptops, mobiles, physical and virtual servers.It ensures a consistent level of security for the entire IT environment, limiting poorly protected endpoints that could serve as starting points for malicious actions against the organization. It relies on a simple, integrated architecture with centralized management for both endpoints and data center. Cloud and on-premise console options fit both cloud-ready and strictly regulated environments.
- Panda Security Adaptive Defense 360: Panda Security Adaptive Defense 360 is the company’s flagship entry into the business-grade hosted endpoint protection space. While it delivers a great selection of capabilities, you’ll need to be careful when purchasing as the company’s website isn’t all that clear about which features are included in which tiers. Still, once setup, this platform offers solid protection capabilities across multiple operating system platforms with full management available over the cloud. On the downside, some weaknesses in the user experience and overall threat protection keep it behind our current business security Editors’ Choice winners, Bitdefender GravityZone Elite and ESET Endpoint Protection Standard.
- Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus: Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus 2019 is all-in-one powerful endpoint, email, server and network protection package for small and medium size businesses (best for 1-500 employees). It works on PCs, Macs and Windows servers. It is enhanced with cutting – edge features to keep your company’s life fully secure. It includes powerful antivirus, server, email and network security, CyberCapture, firewall and much more. It can be used either with cloud console or without. A very easy to install protection against virus and malware, Avast Business Antivirus Pro Plus is a Must-Have software for not only businesses but also every computer user. Avast is compatible with most Operating Systems, making it for every person. The software is cheap to purchase and very easy to maintain. The user can install the software without the help of an expert, making installation cost zero. Using the software is as easy as clicking on the “Run-Check” button, leaving the software to check any problems in the system, and clicking “Fix” button once the checking is done. Further, the software is very reliable in detecting issues not only in the PC storage space but also threats that can be picked up from the internet, as it has a powerful firewall feature. With the firewall, the user can connect and browse files via a network connection without any worry. When using external storage facilities and devices, the software is able to run an auto-check on these devices to ensure they do not infect the computer. If any threats are found, the software auto-corrects them. It is a very reliable, convenient and efficient antivirus for both online and offline files.
- McAfee Endpoint Protection Essential for SMB: McAfee Endpoint Protection Essential is a multi-featured security suite, designed for small and midsize businesses (SMBs).The solution offers businesses with a wide array of functionality. A firewall helps keep hackers out of company networks, while anti-malware protection, device control and Web security all defend against multiple security threats.McAfee Endpoint Protection Essential also features an access protection tool that, in the event of a cyber attack, restricts access to folders designated as “confidential.”It comes with a central control panel, available on-premise or in the cloud, which enables a single administrator to manage and monitor the company network, making sure company security is up-to-date. McAfee, a subsidiary of Intel, has clients ranging from government agencies to at-home users. Support is available via phone.
- ESET Endpoint Protection Standard: ESET Endpoint Antivirus is an on-premise antivirus solution that provides businesses protection against malware and a remote management tool.Antivirus and antispyware protections utilize ESET’s ThreatSense technology to defend against both known and emerging threats. Scanning and detection occur can be scheduled and carried out when the system is idle. ESET Endpoint Antivirus also features device control, which scans USB sticks, CDs, DVDs and other removable media for hidden threats. Administrators can configure the system to block unauthorized media from accessing the network, thus protecting against data loss. ESET Endpoint Antivirus also comes with a remote administration tool which enables an administrator to manage the security of thousands of workstations from a single console. Accessible from any computer connected to the network, the remote administrator enables the individual managing company security to schedule or initiate scans, enforce policies and rules and manage configuration. Support is offered via phone, email and through other online resources.